Vacation house check

Going away? The Minnetonka Police Department offers a free service to check the exterior of your home when you are out of town. Additionally, you should ask a trusted friend or neighbor to watch your home. They can take in papers and mail, water plants, open and close curtains, vary lighting and make the home look more “lived in.” Make sure somebody removes snow or mows the lawn as the season dictates.

Please submit your information 10 days before you leave town. If there is less than 10 days please call 952.939.8510 to make the request.

Learn more about Neighborhood Watch in Minnetonka.

Please note: “We cannot assume any liability for your residence. If time permits, we will attempt to check your residence. Please inform your neighbors that you will be away. They are your primary source of protection.”

If you have any questions, please contact Nicole Nelson at 952.939.8546 or

Gone for a month or more?

If you will be gone for a month or more and you have questions or concerns regarding whether or not you should shut off your water, please contact Donna Gause in the utility division, at 952.988.8400.

Vacation house check request form

Please fill out the below form to request a vacation house check.

Homeowner information: required
Keyholder information: optional

This person must be available to respond to an incident at your home within 15 minutes of being contacted by police.

Vacation dates:

Entering your return date is optional if you are unsure when you will return. If you do not fill it in, you are required to call the police at 952.939.8510 when you get back to cancel your request.

Vehicle information:



If so, please complete the following questions:

Lighting information:



If lights are on timers, please check the locations where they may be turned on.



Alarm company information:



If so, please complete the following questions:

Comments: optional
Submit request: required