The city of Minnetonka will host two special drop-off events in 2013—Saturday, June 1 and Saturday, Sept. 21, both from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Minnetonka Public Works, 11522 Minnetonka Blvd., Minnetonka. Lists of items accepted at these special events, as well as any disposal fees, are listed below and in the May and September editions of the Minnetonka Memo.
Please note: no garbage or household hazardous waste will be accepted. For more information, call 952.988.8430.
Electronic items are no longer accepted at the special drop-off events. This includes TVs, radios, speakers, CDs, VCRs and DVD players, camcorders, cell phones, telephones, laptops, computers, printers and monitors. View options for proper drop-off/disposal of your consumer electronics.
- Upcoming special one-day drop-off events
- Saturday, June 1, 2013
- Saturday, September 21, 2013
- 8 a.m.–3 p.m.
- Public Works Facility
- 11522 Minnetonka Blvd.
- East Parking Lot
- (Enter by Recycling Drop-off Center)
Minnetonka residents may drop-off the materials listed below. The charge for dropping off each item, if any, is listed in italics.
- Appliances: $10 each
Washer, dryer, dishwasher, stove, oven, cooktop, microwave, freezer, refrigerator, water heater, home furnace, trash compactor, garbage disposer, humidifier or dehumidifier, air conditioner, water softener.
- Batteries: No charge
All car, truck, motorcycle, ATV, snowmobile and garden tractor batteries are accepted, as well as household batteries (D, C, AA, AAA, 6 & 9 volt cells, button batteries and rechargeable batteries.)
- Bicycles: No charge
Bicycles brought to the special drop-off will be given a second chance by Re-Cycle (612.209.6669).
- Carpet & padding: $1 per square yard for carpet and $1 per square yard for padding.
Determine the number of square yards of carpet or room size the carpet came from. Roll carpet and tape or tie rolls. Rolls must not exceed six feet in length or 12 inches in diameter.
- Copier or fax machine: $35, higher fee for larger items.
- Doors: $2 and up, depending on size
- Electronics: No longer accepted, see information below.
- Fluorescent bulbs: No charge
Up to ten fluorescent bulbs will be accepted per vehicle. No lamps will be accepted from business or commercial use. Please transport lamps in a manner to avoid breakage, but don’t tape bulbs.
- Chairs: small—$5; large—$10
- Loveseat: $15 each
- Couch/sofa: $20 each
- Hide-a-bed: $30 each
- Sectionals, dressers, chests, tables, & other furniture: $5 and up depending on size
- Lumber: $2 minimum, based on $25 per cubic yard. No railroad ties, concrete or shingles.
- Mattresses and box springs: ($15 per piece for all sizes). Mattresses are dismantled and acceptable materials recycled by the PPL Industries mattress recycling program.
- Propane tanks: small—$1; large (anything larger than a two pound tank)—$5.
- Scrap metal:
- Clean scrap metal: no charge for items such as pipe, gutters, swing sets, barbecues, ducting, fencing etc. Clean scrap metal means all plastic, rubber, wood, concrete and hazardous materials have been removed.
- Dirty scrap metal items: $5 charge
For example, lawn chair with webbing, barbecues or lawn mower with wheels and/or non-metal parts still attached. (All engines must have oil & gas drained.) Additional charges apply for riding mowers, garden tractors, snowblowers, trailers or other large items.
- Tires: $4 for each car, trailer, or light truck tire, $8 if tire is still on rim. $30 for tractor or truck tire on split rim.
- Toilets and non-metal sinks: $5 each
- Windows: $2 and up, depending on size
No garbage, consumer electronics or household hazardous waste will be accepted.
Payment will be accepted in cash or local checks payable to the city of Minnetonka.
Please note: There will not be a charitable organization at the Special Drop-off accepting clothing and household goods.
Local charitable organizations that accept clothing and household goods include the following:
- ARC Hennepin Carver
- Pickup route info: 612.866.8820
- Bethesda Thrift Shop
- 4749 County Road 101, Minnetonka, located in the Westwind Shopping Center
- Families Helping Each Other
- Goodwill Industries
- 13820 Wayzata Boulevard, Minnetonka
- Salvation Army
- Pickup route info: 612.332.5585
- Value Village Thrift Store
- 2751 Winnetka Ave, New Hope
- Vietnam Vets Pickup route
If you have any questions about this special drop-off, please call 952.988.8430 during business hours (please leave a message if you get voicemail).
There are several local options for properly disposing of your consumer electronics. This includes TVs, radios, stereos, VCRs, CD and DVD players/recorders, camcorders, telephones, laptops, computers, printers and monitors or any other consumer electronic items.
- Best Buy and Staples also accept most consumer electronics at their stores. Go to the Best Buy Recycling Program or Staples Recycling Program pages to learn more, including which items they accept.
- Hennepin County also has two permanent Household Hazardous Waste drop off facilities that accept consumer electronic items.
- 8100 Jefferson Highway, Brooklyn Park
- 1400 West 96th Street, Bloomington